Purpose of the church: The purpose of the First United Methodist Church of Santa Rosa is to create a loving community of faith that expresses itself through both personal spirituality and social responsibility; reaching up to God and reaching out to all people in God’s love with experiences that challenge, change, inspire and engage.
Purpose of the plan: To facilitate the ability of our church to be in ministry to persons in need as a result of a disaster and in furtherance of the California-Nevada Annual Conference Disaster Response Ministry.
1. To provide pastoral care and support to disaster victims, from congregants to community members.
2. To make individual and family disaster planning and training available to the congregation and to our immediate community.
3. To identify and mitigate the risks from likely disasters.
4. To protect church property and ensure the continuation or quick resumption of worship services and ministry tasks.
5. To identify and organize resources, equipment, and facilities of the church, including its membership, that could be of benefit in the time of a disaster and recovery.
6. To plan ways to meet spiritual, emotional, and physical needs during and after a disaster, especially for those persons with special needs.
7. To offer a "ministry of presence" in the event of a disaster.
8. To create a Disaster Response Team to be used in the event of a local disaster.
9. To work cooperatively with the appropriate conference units, Sonoma County VOAD (Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters), and local government agencies in the identification of, advocacy for, and assistance in disaster recovery.
10. To provide direct communication from the church to the district and/or conference and hence to the national offices of the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) and United Methodist Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM) to obtain needed resources and assistance or to provide available resources and assistance to areas in need outside of the immediate community.