Church Council Minutes
First United Methodist Church of Santa Rosa
Saturday, February 25, 2017
Meeting called to order by Paul O’Rear at 10:05am. Opening prayer offered by Pamala Stephens.
This was a special meeting to discuss and adopt the budget as proposed by the Finance committee. Heather Young presented on behalf of the Finance Committee.
Much discussion ensued around accepting the current budget as a base-line for operations. Attendees then divided into three groups to brainstorm on ways to raise revenue and decrease expenses.
The Finance Committee Proposal was approved as modified:
1) Adopt current budget, as provisional, showing projected deficit of $124,677.00;
2) Adopt year-round stewardship program, reporting to Church Council, and conduct spring campaign in May;
3) Request all FUMC spending units (budgeted areas) to prepare budget plans for 5% reduction and 10% reduction from current adopted provisional budget, effective June 1, 2017. This report will be due at March 11th meeting by each committee, with details to be available only by committees upon request;
4) Evaluate and present plan for spending down current operating fund balances and building reserves;
5) Establish task force to evaluate current FUMC assets and investigate possible sale or income-related uses for selected assets.
Closing prayer offered by Pastor Blake. Meeting adjourned at 12:40pm.
Next Church Council Meeting Saturday, March 11, 2017.